The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Thursday, October 25, 2012

The greatest compliment of my life



I may have just received one of the greatest compliments of my life. Need to think about this. We were doing our morning ritual, and after the 8-count "Om" (the target is ten, but as a reward, if he does it perfectly, I let us stop at 8 and make a little joke of the last number) he asked if he could tell me something.

"I wish there was another of you, Daddy" he said. "That you still knew all the things you know, and could be here doing the things you do, but that there was another, little version."

"And what would you do with the other one?" I asked.

He touched his chest. "Put him in here, inside me, to help me."

Tears stung my eyes. "That's what we're building," I whispered to him, laying my hand over his heart. "We're building a little me, right inside you, to be with you always. Always. Even when I'm gone."

And we hugged.

I swear to God: life just doesn't get any better than that. Please, please, if you have a child who needs deeper connection with calm and centeredness, the ritual I created to compensate for my boy's ADD can seem like a miracle at times. ANYONE with a special need and financial issues can get a free copy. Please go to www.diamondhour.com and get yours today, or forward this to someone with need.


Steve

3 comments:

film feminista said...

That is sooo beautiful and moving and touching. I teared up a lil bit. Sweet boy- give your son a hug for me.
We could use more tenderness and connecting to each other in this world

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Steve!

Unknown said...

We were doing our morning ritual, and after the 8-count "Om" (the target is ten, but as a reward, if he does it perfectly, I let us stop at 8 and make a little joke of the last number) he asked if he could tell me something. Cheap Mens Watches