The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Monday, February 15, 2010

Childhood Obesity: A Matter of Life and Death

Whatever in utero effects may exist...whatever glandular or metabolic problems may be truly problematic...whatever emotional issues create havoc...to control weight you MUST control both intake and output. Start with the physics--that if caloric output exceeds input, the mass must decrease. Everything else adds complication and difficulty (sometimes terrible difficulty) but if you do not control both, weight loss will probably not occur. It's easy to see why obesity is such a problem: we didn't evolve to live in a world of processed, easily available food for which we need barely move. That is a recipe for disaster, and we're seeing it. Parents who move and eat healthily have far less trouble with obesity in their children. Be the change you want to see in your children. It takes only about an hour a week to provide basic fitness. "Diets" don't work, but lifestyles can. One basic change in eating that can make a vast difference: every other day, eat only fresh fruits and vegetables. No counting calories, no sacrifice of favorite foods, no hunger...just an incredibly health benefit that has to be experienced to be understood.



www.realherosjourney.com
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

2 comments:

Marty S said...

Here's the thing Steve. I eat red meat for lunch about 4 to 5 times week. I eat red meat for dinner about 3 to 4 times a week. I don't like vegetables. I eat pasta, rice or potatoes with my meat. So I am borderline obese not could I can't resist food when I see it but because of the foods I enjoy. Earlier this week my wife and I ordered a pizza pie to share with our two grandsons ages 7 and 11. My wife and grandsons each had two slices. I had one slice decided I was full and we froze the extra slice. So, I weigh the possible gain from losing weight if I change what eat against the pleasure I get from eating the foods I enjoy and I eat what I like. My decision just like those who risk themselves skiing or engaging in other potentially harmful activities.

Steven Barnes said...

So long as such decisions are made consciously, and the obesity is not morbid, this just falls into the category of "lifestyle choice." It would only attract my attention if the person expressed grief at inability to find partners, health issues, social isolation, etc.