The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Saturday, May 13, 2006

General Michael Hayden and the Fourth Amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

Excuse me, but did anyone else hear the interview (confirmation hearing?) Where General Michael Hayden, former head of the NSA and Bush’s pick for head of the CIA denied REPEATEDLY that the fourth Amendment to the constitution used the phrase “Probable Cause”?  I was shocked.  He said it repeatedly, insisting that the 4th amendment was one the NSA understood quite well.

Unless there is something going on here I don’t understand, I find the implicaitons absolutely terrifying.  Did anyone else hear this?  And while we're at it, a poll suggested that 65% of Americans would sacrifice personal liberties to the anti-terrorism effort.   While yes, people sacrifice liberties in a time of war, this "war" isn't normal--it could, quite literally, continue forever.  In my mind, the idea of a government grasping more and more personal liberties is FAR more terrifying than a few Muslims plotting to set off bombs.  But I'd love to hear thoughts from the Group Mind.  I swear to God...listening to that interview scared the piss out of me.

No comments: