The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Monday, October 31, 2005

Saw II (2005)

I might almost wonder if the MPAA was asleep at the switch on this one...Saw II, the sequel to the 2004 sleeper horror film, is one of the grisliest, bloodiest pieces of work I've ever seen get an "R" rating.  This is definitely NOT your mommy's PG-13 horror film, I kid you not.  The original film, a minor masterpiece of indy, not-for-the-squeamish terror dealing with two men chained in a basement, while Danny Glover tries to figure out what's going on, had one of the neatest twists I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.  While "Saw II" has its twists (and at least one of 'em is a humdinger" this tale of six (I think) folks trapped in a house after being doused with nerve gas, stuggling to find an exit, while Donnie Wahlberg (in a straight-ahead performance as a burned out cop) tries to rescue his son (one of the six) by interrogating "Jigsaw," the mastermind behind this whole mess, kept me hopping, and on the edge of my seat, and actually wincing at some of the action.  I'd have a difficult time justifying the morality of something like this, but have to admit I had a great time.  For lovers of the genre, give it a B+.  All others should think twice before buying tickets!

No comments: